Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Abandonment Issues: Canada Talc


Lights, cameras, action!

The power was humming and the lights were still on as we approached this closed production facility. Security was present and live feed cameras rested on every corner of the building. No Trespassing and live feed camera security warning signs adorned the perimeter fencing. All of this intrigued us and drew us in for a closer look. Curiosity likely won't kill the cats, but will it leave them with $65 trespassing tickets? If that's the price of admission, so be it, we decided.

After evading security and avoiding camera detection to the best of our abilities, we got inside, my brother and I. We quickly sauntered through over half of the building, snapping photos. And then it happened: the alarm started its 30 second warning, triggered by our movement in front of a motion detector. Beep, beep, beep.




Directly adjacent to the Marmora Mine stands the former home of Canada Talc's processing plant. The plant processed talc mined at the Canada Talc mine in nearby Madoc, Ontario, which was established in 1896 and was one of North America's longest steady operating mines.

Fifty jobs were lost in the two communities of Madoc and Marmora when the mine and the processing plant were both shut down on August 27th, 2010. Company representatives stated that the company had experienced revenue losses for the past 5 years and that "it was just not feasible to continue operations."

Talc is composed of hydrated magnesium silicate. It is the softest known mineral. Talc is best known for its use as talcum powder, but is also used in several industries including paper making, plastic, paint and coatings, rubber, food, pharmaceuticals, electric cable, cosmetics and ceramics.

















...Beep, beep, beep. We bolted. Just outside, the alarm began to ring out aloud, announcing our presence for miles in every direction. Across the wide open concrete and into the forest, we ran. Deep in the forest, we came across a row of telephone poles, which we followed back to Marmora, several miles to the northeast. In time, the blaring alarm faded to a faint whisper through the dense forest behind us. We opined that with the amount of raccoon tracks and pigeons flying around inside, the alarm ringing out could possibly be a somewhat regular occurrence.

Later that evening, I was eating a steak dinner and playing pool at a friend's house. A friend that just happens to be an O.P.P. officer. I told this tale to him and the boys, and we all shared a healthy laugh. He asked me how many tickets I've acquired during the course of all my explorations? I smiled at him with a monumental grin and told him the truth: None.

**April 2013**

Upon revisiting this location last week, we encountered and approached a small crew of workers on site. They informed us that a new company has purchased the property and plans to renovate the building and resume the processing of raw materials other than talc.

click here to check out all of jerm & ninja IX's ABANDONMENT ISSUES

No comments: