Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Abandonment Issues: Millbrook Correctional Centre


Millbrook Correctional Centre

The Millbrook Correctional Centre was commonly referred to by inmates and  criminals as The Brook. It began operations in 1957, at which time it was known as the Millbrook Reformatory. It opened with a capacity of 268 inmates, but after double bunking and renovations over the years, capacity grew to 490. For decades it was Ontario's only maximum security incarceration facility, housing provincially sentenced male inmates serving a deuce less (two years less a day) that were deemed unmanageable in other jails.

Having already explored and researched the jail, I had the pleasure of sitting down recently with the former Super-Intendant of Millbrook Correctional Centre, Keavin Kelly. Keavin began working at Millbrook as a guard in 1978 and worked his way up the ladder to Super-Intendant, and then acting Super-Intendant at CECC before retiring from the Department of Corrections. Keavin also happens to be a very dear friend of mine. I took him through the building in photos and he described the uses of each area and shared stories from within the walls. The information and stories he shared have been incorporated into this article.

In 1957-58, homosexual inmates, regardless of their offences, were shipped to Millbrook and housed with sexual deviants and predators. At this time, this segment of the inmate population was 'treated' with electro-convulsive therapy (electro-shock) and narcotics including sodium-pentothol (truth serum).

Aside from that sad fact, three interesting events top the list in the history of this facility: The Millbrook Nine murder, the suspicious death of an immigrant, and the riot.

On March 16th, 2000, at 6:25pm, in the day room of 6 Wing, where inmates gather, inmate Scott Dufty was severely beaten. He died in a Toronto hospital eight days later. The convicts charged in the jailhouse homicide came to be known as The Millbrook Nine. Eight of those inmates were eventually convicted of manslaughter. The primary aggressor that reportedly landed the death blows by stomping on the head of Mr. Dufty, was Emmanuel Bedard.

Manny, as I knew him in the mid 1990s, was declared a dangerous offender in 2005, meaning he will most likely never be released back into society.

During my teenage years I was no stranger to the world behind bars, albeit in young offender facilities. While serving time in Brookside Youth Centre in Cobourg in the mid-nineties, Emmanuel 'Manny' Bedard was my next door neighbour, one cell over to the left. He was rarely allowed out of his cell, under lock and key for perpetually bad behaviour. He was prone to self harm and attacking hacks (guards). Stories flurried about the jail regarding his past in orphanages and wearing helmets in white-padded rooms.

I have since researched his past and discovered it is arguable that he may never have even had a chance in this world.

There were two interactions between Manny and I that I have never forgotten. One was something he said. The other was something he did. I'm not going to tell you what he said. But what he did, well that may have saved my life. I was a little guy, but I never backed down, always stood my ground. I may have been biting off more than I could chew standing my ground against a certain individual on this day, and a physical altercation was inevitable and approaching the immediate. It was just before this fight was about to pop off when Manny did what he did. As this hostile inmate leaned in to drink from a water fountain, Manny stepped up behind him, and kicked his face into the fountain, knocking out his teeth. The inmate was brought to hospital and then transferred to another facility. Manny was put back on lock down.

With the same feet he used to murder a man in Millbrook four years later, he stood up for the little guy on that day. By no means am I naive enough to think he truly did that for me, as there are no means of understanding the actions of a psychopath, and Manny Bedard is a psychopath.

As the story goes regarding the Millbrook Nine murder, Mr. Dufty was released from the hole (administrative segregation) just hours before the murder and placed in Range Area 6, a special needs unit. He was warned by guards not to return to this unit, but he ignored those warnings. He had reportedly been doing taxes for other inmates and skimming off the top, as well as muscling other inmates. Seeking revenge, those inmates concocted a murder plot while Dufty was in the hole, utilizing Manny and his fragile psyche and psychopathic nature. They told Manny that Dufty had been calling his sister and threatening to rape her, which of course was untrue. Dufty spent less than a half hour on the range before Manny draped a pillow case over his head and began to strangle him with it. Inmates then attacked him with a melamine mug stuffed with wet tissue and and pillow cases packed with detergent. At this time, with the victim down and vulnerable, the other inmates got their kicks in. As the other inmates stepped away from the altercation, Manny continued to stomp repeatedly on the head of the unconscious man.

It was rumoured that Manny saw this murder as his ticket to the Kingston Penitentiary, where he hoped to be transferred.

Every once in a while, I think about Manny, and I feel grateful for the things I have and the loving family that I took for granted as a teenager.

Another noteworthy event in the history of this facility was the suspicious death of a fifty year old Vietnamese immigration prisoner named Nguyen Cao Son. On April 18, 2001, Son died in custody under suspicious circumstances, after reportedly being beaten by guards.

And thirdly, the riot. In the last days of March 2002, during an OPSEU strike, thirty-nine inmates took control of an entire unit, including gaining access to the control room. They smashed windows, destroyed property and unsuccessfully attempted to access the yard. Coincidentally, one of the two instigators of the riot was also a teenage acquaintance.

As part of the Ontario government's Infrastructure Renewal Program, Millbrook was closed in 2003 and the inmate population was transferred to the new super jail in Lindsay, known as the Central East Correctional Centre, or CECC. Another identical facility was also built at this time in Penetanguishine, known as Central North Correctional Centre. Many other provincial jails were also closed as part of this program, including the Rideau Correctional & Treatment Centre.

The old prison on the hill sat vacant for years before being accessed and documented by countless urban explorers and vandalized by local youth until 2009, at which time it was resealed. Welded so tight, and with so many layers, that it seemed impossible that I would ever get to see it for myself.

Every couple of weeks though, we would return for a nice Sunday morning walk around the prison. We wanted it so bad. We checked everything, but nothing ever changed, it was all welded shut. The irony was never lost on us here either, continually returning to this old prison; just dying to get inside of the prison that so many inmates have just wanted to get out of over the years.





Just as we had done at the Insane Asylum, we continued to return every few weeks, hoping for a better result, expecting more of the same, and getting it.

In early 2011, a gentleman that accessed the prison with his proficient mountain climbing skills shared images that told a tale of Police Emergency Response Training with military grade equipment and explosives within the prison walls, which only excited me more.

We continued to circle like vultures. But still, nothing ever changed.

And then it happened. In September 2011, a newspaper article caught my eye on my iphone, as I lay in a hospital bed dealing with an ear infection from a mould allergy brought on by exploring hazardous buildings. The article spoke of a man and woman from Whitby in their late thirties arrested by Police ERT and K9 Units breaking in to the old prison. I sat up so quickly that I got dizzy from the morphine.

As soon as I was released from hospital I poured a splash of ear drops into my ear, threw back a couple of prescribed oxy pills, and in the company of a good friend, finally explored the long awaited Millbrook Correctional Centre.

And then only two days later, when we returned, it was sealed again.






The N & S blocks of the segregation unit bring back memories of feeling the utter loneliness of isolation. I shutter when reminiscing on my brief stints in the hole.

The black mould growing and residing on the walls of these cells is as dangerous to ones health as the inmates that once called them home.










The segregation yard. This was the whole world as far as Seg inmates would see it.






A cell becomes a home quite quickly when you spend most of your day, every day, within it's walls.









The ranges go on and on, repeating themselves. The varying levels of decay and damage often the only differentiating features.




























A prison chapel is often much more than a house of God. It is usually the prison marketplace. It is where inmates from different units intermingle for church services, AA meetings and movie nights, and move contraband between units.




This range had it's own double doored segregation cells at its rear.











The inmates received medical and dental care here.



Under the ever watchful eyes of guards, inmates at the facility worked on-site.

They cooked and cleaned in the cafeteria.



They sewed prison uniforms in a large tailor shop.




They laundered prison clothing and bedding in industrial washers and dryers.



And they produced license plates for the province of Ontario's Ministry of Transportation with this license plate stamping machine.

These demo copies of silent beta videos from the 1980s depict inmates at work on this process.









They spent most of their time either working or behind bars.



For recreation, they exercised on the yard, walking, working out, or playing basketball, baseball or hockey.




The guards were everywhere, including up in the towers. This is a view that the inmates never got.










And then the inmates were eventually released. Set free into society, much like we felt as we exited.

We will continue to walk the perimeter, hoping for another opportunity to get back inside.

January 27 & February 2, 2013

The Southeast Guard Tower



SE guard tower


View from the SE guard tower

We continue to enjoy perimeter walks and hope for new opportunities. This is not an echo.

Rumour has it that the end is near and a demolition notice is not far off, after environmental assessments are made public in the near future. That rumour swirls around but is not substantial in any way.

And now your sentence is served. You are free to go.

********* UPDATE *********
*******April 5th, 2015******

On Thursday March 31st, 2015, the demolition of the Millbrook Correctional Centre officially began. The following is an excerpt from the demolition plans...

"This project involves the deconstruction and demolition of the main complex of buildings and fire training tower as well as the removal of all roads including the main "ring" road, transformers, septic beds and lagoons, all wells and storm water management systems. The design approach was first to de-construct the site by identifying what can be reused/recycled/diverted from landfill.
Environmental remediation work was identified in a phase 1 and 2 ESA and is included in the scope of work. This work includes the clean up in the lagoons, septic beds, former dumpster area, onion field and sand pit, creek area, powerhouse area and sludge beds. Work will also be required under the fire tower."

The entire project is scheduled to take six weeks.

Of course with the demo crew setting up the day before the Easter holiday weekend, we couldn't resist going for yet another perimeter walk. And it paid off.

Not much has changed between my visits and most of my photographs look eerily similar to the last batch. The cell blocks however have seen some change, in the form of weathering and further decay.








I will return at least once a week throughout the course of the demolition and hopefully capture some photographs the tell the end of the story.

click here to check out all of jerm & ninja IX's ABANDONMENT ISSUES


major_tom said...

Glad to see MCC's open for business again! I managed it just before the filth sealed it up in '09; looks like the place has changed a little since I was there. There appear to be more holes in the walls haha. Police breaching practice?

Anonymous said...

Looks like "time warp" was the result of a shaped charge breach attempt, anyone caught on the otherside would be pretty much dead/gravely injured from the blast pressure

LTD.Edition said...

It's too bad this sort of exploration will have minimum jail time attached to it soon.

Anonymous said...

"time to waste" sure seems profound

Anonymous said...

Good that you finally got in Jerm! Congrats on breaching it finally :)

jerm IX said...

Cheers all, this one was special.

Art and Soul, Ink said...

Absolutely superb post. I always love your particular method of tying your personal life into the mission, and how well you articulate the background and history of the site. Your photography is gaining its own style, and the captions speak volumes. I lol'd at "cell phone" ;)

Anonymous said...

wow it just so happens i did alot of timein that place and my boy was killed in there unfourtuanately up on 6 wing but on a brighter side im happy to see that place shut down alot of asbestos in it...but thanks for the pics jerm loved it it was definatly a time warp trip for me hahaha duffy out

Anonymous said...

Just interested

My father was a guard there in 1960 or so, before guards had guns. Interesting to see where he worked. He was also a guard at the Guelph prison in 1969/70.

Anonymous said...

I did my first bit in the Brook in 2000 and I was one of the last prisoners to be transfered. This place has alot of bad blood in it and alot of ghosts call it home. A bad place.

jannx said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael Hodge said...

I was a prisoner in Millbrook from October 1968 to August 1970. I lived on 4 wing cell 12 East, 3 wing cell 1 east. When I was there the hole at the back of 5 wing had no toilets, just a hole im the floor.

The cells are big enough for a single bed: Instead of tearing it down, renovate the prison into a gated low income retirement community.


Anonymous said...

did couple years here when I was 16 glad the place is shut was hard time


Anonymous said...

Wow. Great pictures. Sure brings back memories. I was working there at the time of the Millbrook Nine incident. What a horrible situation. I learned so much during my short time there. I'm weirdly grateful for the experience. Thanks for sharing the pics. I have,often wondered what it looked like as the years have passed.

Jerm IX said...

Thank you all very much for the comments. An extra special thanks to those of you that were inmates or guards at this facility for sharing your comments. The personal connections, stories and feelings that you share make this even more interesting. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

At the back of the jail, in the far north east corner, you will find a trail leading down a hill. Once down there you will find a red tower that was apparently used to hold inmates when they were in "time out". This tower has not be welded shut and you can access the tower and climb the ladders to the top. Its pretty cool.

Kerri Dufrene said...

I have a question.... In one of the pictures there is a red sack on the ceiling......what is that? Also, my comment......these pictures are amazing. I love to look into derelect places and try to see the history and the movement of the past. With your photos and comments, I was able to do so with this one as well. Thank you for your persistance!!!

Anonymous said...

the inmates use to put their shirts over the lights so it was not so bright. Against rules but they were not known to follow rules anyway.

Bugsuperstar said...

Great write up man. Really enjoyed reading that.

Anonymous said...

Its open theres a way in I live here in millbrook and have been in myself recently

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I grew up in Millbrook and my father was a guard 'in the camp'.

Anonymous said...

Worked 20 years there.Was present for many many incidents,a few deaths, attempted suicides, fights, riots etc.
There was a certain respect back in the day between guard and inmate.It wasnt always the way you see jail time depicted in the media/TV.
I appreciate the return visit you allowed me to take. Thanx

Jason Parker said...

Your accounts on duff are not all correct! How do i know? I was there, Was freinds with all involved and i ran 6 wing for my 2 years there, I have been itching to get back in there and seeing 7 east in 6 wing again, Everyone that was on 6 wing was moved up from 4 wing because immigration needed to house immigratnts because they're facilitys were full, My 1st week there me and manny had a fight and we got sent to the hole, After that we were friends and we had our own little group, The so called Millbrook 9 which is also not 100% true, Man the storys i could tell you! As for there only being 1 riot that is not true either, There was a huge riot some years earlier and also on 6 wing after duff was killed, also a suicide in 6 wing 1 west. I guess the reality of seeing this place again just wont happen if its going to be torn down, I have noticed that some of the out buildings and the old wardens house has been demolished to my understanding, also if you never searched around enough there is also staff living areas in the brook.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. Great stories, great pictures.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos and research. What a great opportunity.

Does anyone know who is the governing body now responsible for the site. Is it the province of Ontario, the township of millbrook, the OPP?

Seems to be no information on who is actually charged with this responsibility since it's closure?

Anonymous said...

After spending 12 years as a correctional officer I left with joy not because of inmates but because of the corrupt administration/government. Millbrook CC had the finest correctional officers in the province. The stress of the job wasnt the inmate population but the inept silver seven. Wonderful pics brought back memories!!

Anonymous said...

This tower was used for training purposes, not time out for inmates!

Anonymous said...

The ontario government owns it

Anonymous said...

I wish our community could use this facility or land for something positive like living quarters for seniors or perhaps a community centre but to tear it down, clean the contamination and rebuild it would cost the township alot of money. I'm sure the grounds are tainted with all kinds of poison. The government let the few houses that were on the property go to waste and it still costs us as taxpayers money to cut the grass. When I first moved here the jail scared me as I had to walk passed it to get to school every day but during our "Man in Society" class we went on a tour of the facility and I felt more at ease. Why?? It seemed like a great place to be rehabilitated. People making socks, license plates, getting their education. It seemed like they had a purpose. But of course hearing other stories I'm sure it was a very scary time. I hope the government will step up and do something profitable with it and not leave it in the dilapidated state it currently sits in forever.

Adam Richards said...

It's not a sack. It's an inmates tshirt tied around the light box. When lights get turned out, the night lights kick on. The shirt just makes its darker for them to sleep.

Anonymous said...

The last piece of time I spent in prison was at this facility; late 1999 through to mid 2000. I was there when that inmate was killed, although not on the range it took place in.

A good portion of what incentivized me to get my act together was my time spent in Millbrook. This place was a nightmare and if you had the unfortunate history of being in many of the various correctional centers, this one was its own unique special version of horrible; dark, tight quarters, very old and being constantly on edge and ready to go.

Appreciate these pictures. I would actually really enjoy to drive up and see if I can get in and take a look around at it all. Don't think I'd want to chance it though assuming I could get arrested for being there. It's been over 13 years and I plan to keep adding to that number until I'm in my grave.

Anonymous said...

Today is the first day of demolition .....in six weeks there will be nothing left but your pictures and memories

Anonymous said...

I just had a service call. Demolition has started. Its crazy looking. Nice story.